Virtual Walk Stop #13
Calvary Presbyterian Church
This stop is sponsored by Moulton Memorial Baptist Church
In 1773, a Presbyterian mission was established by the Bethlehem Church to witness to the “needy” and “sinful” inner-city of Newburgh. They became a Presbyterian Society on July 12, 1784. The group met in the former Army Clothing Warehouse at First and Montgomery Streets and became First Presbyterian. In 1793, a colonial wooden church was built on a burned-down warehouse site. The Pastor preached standing on a bench and members brought stools, crates and benches. In 1817, the 100 members installed pews which could be rented.
Fifty-five members withdrew in 1855 to organize Calvary (1856). The original group kept “First Presbyterian” for their name. Calvary built a red brick church on Liberty Street, next to where First Methodist is today. Meanwhile, the First Presbyterians engaged architect, Frederick C. Withers to design their church, the present day Calvary Presbyterian. He deliberately selected the stones and slates to reflect the mountains across the river. On Thanksgiving Day, 1858, the structure was dedicated. In 1945, the split churches reunited and kept the Calvary name.
Calvary is located within the historic Old Town Cemetery, which dates to pre-Revolutionary settlement of this area. Considerable community restoration efforts have been made to preserve this important burying ground, particularly the one-of-a kind Robinson Mausoleum.
For years, Calvary Presbyterian Church has been the designated location for Habitat Newburgh's Saturday coffee break. They have also graciously hosted other events for us, such as graduation ceremonies for Habitat families and our Annual MLK day of service luncheon. For more information regarding Calvary Presbyterian Church, visit the church’s website at: https://www.calvarypresbychurch.org