If you can answer yes to all of these questions, you are eligible to apply for our Homeownership Program
- Have you lived in our service area for 1 year?
- Are you a US citizen or have evidence of permanent residency?
- Do you meet the income guidelines (30%-60% of area median income)?
- Are you willing to pay a $1,500 deposit ($750 within first 6 months in program/$750 by closing)?
- Are you willing to contribute sweat equity (250 hours for single adult family/400 hours for 2+ adult family)?
- Are you willing to attend all homeowner education classes?
- Are you willing to take on a 30 year affordable mortgage?
If eligible, the application process can take 3 to 4 months. The process begins with completion of the program application and submission of requested documents. The documents required are:
- Most recent tax return
- W-2 forms
- Most recent pay stubs
- Copy of all recent bills
- Bank statement
- Birth certificate
- Picture identification
- Copy of any public assistance verification
- Proof of residency or if applicable, copy of Notice of Action letter
- Contact information for former (if less than a year)/current employer and landlord
A meeting will be set up with Habitat Newburgh’s Family Service Coordinator or a Family Selection Volunteer to review the application and materials for completeness and an in-home interview will be conducted. Your application will then be reviewed by the Family Selection Committee and a recommendation for acceptance into the homeownership program will be forwarded to the Executive Director who will submit it for final approval from the Board of Directors.
Contact our Family Services Coordinator at (845) 568-6035 x111 for more information.